Do I have the flu?
Symptoms + treatment options
It’s not always easy to know if you have the flu. Symptoms can be confusing and many overlap with those you may experience if you have a cold or COVID. To get to the bottom of what’s causing your headache and fever, make sure to test for COVID. If you test negative, there’s a good chance you have the flu or another common respiratory virus. Keep reading to learn more about how to get a fast diagnosis and effective online treatment for flu symptoms.
Get online treatment for seasonal flu
How quickly you get diagnosed after flu symptoms set in can make a big difference in how long you’re down and out. If you’re part of a high-risk group and in danger of experiencing more serious flu-related complications, it’s especially important to seek treatment as soon as symptoms start.
- Children younger than age five, and especially children younger than two
- Adults age 65 and older
- Pregnant women (and women up to 2 weeks postpartum)
- Residents of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- Individuals with certain chronic medical conditions
Online care for flu symptoms
That exhausted “I don’t think I can move” feeling makes Virtuwell’s online clinic the perfect choice for flu diagnosis and treatment. At our online clinic, you don’t have to get out of bed, share your germs or risk picking something else up.
Just answer a few simple questions about your symptoms and a nurse practitioner will provide a diagnosis and treatment plan – all online!
Plus, if you need a prescription, we’ll send it to your pharmacy.
Flu treatment with Tamiflu®
If you’re in a high-risk group, anti-viral medications like Tamiflu® may be prescribed. These meds can help shorten the duration and severity of the flu and are most effective when taken within the first 48 hours of symptoms appearing.
Is Tamiflu® something you - or a loved one - need? The timing of your symptoms, your age and your health history are all factors our nurse practitioners take into consideration when deciding whether to prescribe an anti-viral medication.
Tips for treating the flu at home
Thankfully most people recover from the flu within one to two weeks. But we know that flu symptoms can make you feel pretty miserable so here are some tips to make your bout with the flu a little more comfortable.
- Rest - Sleep as much as you can. Cancel all plans and set up camp on the couch or in your bed.
- Drink lots of fluids - Extra fluids help thin mucus and keep things draining. Stick to water and other caffeine-free and non-alcoholic beverages. Warm chicken soup can also help hydrate your body and soothe a sore throat while beverages with ginger can settle an upset stomach.
- Take over-the-counter medications - Medications found at your local drug store can help cool a fever and quiet aches and pains. Try Mucinex for congestion and Advil or Tylenol for pain relief. Remember to follow dosing instructions and – to avoid tummy troubles – take meds with food.
Feeling flu-ish? Stay home and get a diagnosis and treatment plan online. Start your visit now.
Share this post
Do you know someone who could use a simple & affordable healthcare option?